Sanjay Dutt, who is currently serving his jail term in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, is soon to walk a free man. The actor is expected to be released from jail on February 27 this year. And while all the country is busy thinking what films the actor has on his hands once he steps out of the prison-gates, filmmaker Vidhu Vinod Chopra has an answer or two for people.
Chopra, who shares a close bond with actor Sanjay Dutt and also cast him in the highly successful Munna Bhai franchise, is “more than happy” to hear about the news regarding the actor’s expected release date from jail. The filmmaker says that he has many scripts for him.
The 56-year-old actor was jailed for five years in the March 1993 Mumbai serial blasts for illegally keeping an AK-47 assault rifle.
While Sanjay’s lawyer Hitesh Jain claimed the actor will be released on February 27, Maharashtra’s Minister of State for Home Ranjit Patil said “no decision has been taken in the matter so far”.
“We will be more than happy when he returns from his jail term. He committed a mistake and paid for that. Now it’s his new birth and we are with him,” said Vidhu Vinod Chopra at the special screening of his film Wazir in Mumbai on January 6.
“We have been writing scripts for him for the last few years and right now we have many scripts for him,” he added and hinted on many collaborations with the actor in the near future.
He also shared that the pre-production of the third instalment in the Munna Bhai franchise is in full swing and added that Munna Bhai will definitely happen. “As of now, we are in the writing stage,” he said.
“In fact, Abhijat Joshi and I were writing the script for Munna Bhai on the flight,” said Chopra.
Sanjay Dutt was last seen on the big screen in Rajkumar Hirani’s 2014 blockbuster PK.