© Spice New Delhi: Manoj Bajpayee-starrer Traffic that released last Friday brought in opening day collections of 3.75 crore. The film has been directed by Malayalam director Rajesh Pillai who passed away in February. It is a remake of the 2011 Malayalam film of the same name. Here are 10 other celebrities whose last films were released after their death:
© Movietalkies 1. Meena Kumari: Kumari fell ill three weeks after the release of Kamal Amrohi directed drama Pakeezah (1972) and died soon after. The film made 3 crore at the box office and was followed by Saawan Kumar Tak’s Gomti Ke Kinare the same year, Kumari’s last release.
© Movietalkies 2. Madhubala: Considered one of the most beautiful faces to have ever graced Indian screen, Madhubala stopped working in the 1960s owing to a heart condition. In 1971, two years after her death, action film Jwala co-starring Sunil Dutt was released.
3. Balraj Sahni: Several big films starring the legendary film and stage actor hit the screen after he passed away in 1973: Pyaar Ka Rishta, Hindustan Ki Kasam, Hanste Zakhm, Jallian Wala Bagh, Amaanat and Garam Hawa. The last of these, directed by M.S. Sathyu, is a cult national award-winning classic that was also India’s official entry to the Academy Award’s Best Foreign Film.
4. Sanjeev Kumar: More than 10 of the actor’s films were released after his death in 1985. The last of these, Professor Ki Padosan, co-starring Asha Parekh and Padmini Kolhapure was released in 1993.
© Getty Images 5. Smita Patil: Nearly 10 films of the celebrated actress who died from childbirth complications was released after her death. These include Ketan Mehta’s acclaimed rural drama Mirch Masala. Patil’s performance in the film was included by Forbes magazine in its “25 Greatest Acting Performances of Indian Cinema” in 2013.
6. Divya Bharati: Five of the young actress’ films hit screens after her untimely death in 1993. These include Jeetendra and Amrita Singh-starrer Rang that made more than 2 crore at the box office.
7. Amrish Puri: Days after the actor’s death in 2005 came Subhash Ghai’s period drama Kisna starring Vivek Oberoi. The film made a little more than 2 crore at the box office.
© AFP 8. Shammi Kapoor: The veteran actor was last seen in Imtiaz Ali’s musical drama Rockstar which released months after his death. It made 62 crore at the box office.
9. Yash Chopra: The filmmaker had announced his retirement plans after the release of his romantic film Jab Tak Hai Jaan but passed away before the film could hit screens. The Shah Rukh Khan and Katrina Kaif-starrer earned 120 crore at the box office.
10. Farooq Sheikh: Two of the National Award-winning actor’s films were released in 2014, a year after he passed away. Youngistaan co-starring Jackky Bhagnani made close to 7 crore at the box office while war drama Children of War managed to garner less than a crore.
All figures have been sourced from movie websites Bollywood Hungama and IBOS Network.
View the original here –