New Delhi: Director Remo D’Souza’s action comedy A Flying Jatt, which opened to collections of 7.10 crore last week, is one of the many films to tap into the larger-than-life persona of the leading man by portraying him as a superhero. Here are 10 other movies that did the same.
1. Ra.One (2011): Shah Rukh Khan’s ambitious 3D science fiction film directed by Anubhav Sinha was one of the most expensive Indian projects at the time of release. Also starring Kareena Kapoor Khan, it earned about 114 crore in box office collections.
2. Robot (2010): The Hindi version of director S. Shankar’s Tamil science fiction film Enthiran made about 24 crore at the box office. The plot revolves around a scientist and his creation, both played by Rajinikanth.
3. Drona (2008): The film starring Abhishek Bachchan and Priyanka Chopra was much in the news before release for the huge amount spent on special effects, martial arts and other fight sequences. Directed by Goldie Behl, it made less than 5 crore at the box office.
4. Krrish (2006): Rakesh Roshan’s science fiction film was a sequel to his 2003 hit Koi… Mil Gaya and has spawned the popular Krrish franchise. The Hrithik Roshan-starrer had made 41 crore at the box office.
5. Chhota Chetan (1998): The Jijo Punnoose-directed venture was a dubbed version of 1984 Malayalam movie My Dear Kuttichathan, India’s first 3D film. For the new version, additional scenes were shot with Hindi actors Urmila Matondkar, Satish Kaushik, Shakti Kapoor and Ravi Baswani.
6. Ajooba (1991): The Amitabh Bachchan-starrer was a fantasy film loosely based on Arabian mythology and released with a Russian dub titled Vozvrashcheniye Bagdadskogo Vora. Directed by Shashi Kapoor and Soviet Union filmmaker Gennadi Vasilyev, it made 2 crore in box office collections.
7. Haatim Tai (1990): The Jeetendra-starrer was based on the real-life story of the Arabian poet renowned for his bravery and generosity. Directed by Babubhai Mistry, the film made a little over 1 crore in box office collections.
8. Toofan (1989): The Ketan Desai film featured Amitabh Bachchan in the double role of twin brothers, one of whom is a superhero and the other, a magician. Also starring Meenakshi Seshadri and Amrita Singh, the film made about 5 crore at the box office.
9. Mr. India (1987): Director Shekhar Kapur’s cult classic tells the story of an indigent music teacher supporting an army of orphaned kids who acquires powers that help him change the world. Starring Anil Kapoor, Sridevi and Amrish Puri, the film netted 6 crore in box office collections.
10. Superman (1987): In the first of its kind, Puneet Issar played an Indian version of the iconic superhero, Superman. Also featuring Urmila Bhatt, Dharmendra, Sonia Sahni and Ranjeeta Kaur, the film was directed by B.Gupta.
All figures have been sourced from movie websites Bollywood Hungama and IBOS Network.
Recommended: The greatest superhero movies of all time
See original article: